Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Lamb may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To be considered for a Military Academy Nomination from Congressman Lamb, applicants must complete teh following application and attach the following materials formatted as one document:
- One-page personal statement (500 words or less);
- A recent photo;
- A resume that outlines work experience and extracurricular activities;
- Up to 3 letters of recommendation; *
- An official transcript for all high schools, junior colleges, and colleges attended (Note: all high school transcripts must include final junior year grades); *
- Official SAT I or ACT scores. *
*Only the following materials can be directly submitted to Congressman Lamb’s Allegheny County District Office at 504 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228 if not available to the student:
- Official transcripts submitted by schools;
- Sealed letters of recommendation submitted by recommender;
- and official test scores that are not on current academic transcripts and coming from testing institutions.
If official test scores will be available after the October 31, 2019 deadline, please contact the office directly at (412) 344-5583 to notify staff.
Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.