REPRESENTATIVE LAMB ANNOUNCES MILITARY ACADEMY NOMINATION APPLICATION DEADLINE
(WASHINGTON, DC) – Representative Conor Lamb has announced that qualified students in Pennsylvania’s 18th District who seek a nomination to one of the United States Service Academies must apply to his office by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
The honor of attending a military service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Lamb may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to District 18. To begin the nomination process, applicants should first apply directly to the service academy you wish to attend, and then complete a Military Academy Nomination request from Congressman Lamb found on his website: https://lamb.house.gov/services/military-academy-nominations.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for all of the nominations for which you may be eligible including, but not limited to, U.S. Senators for Pennsylvania Bob Casey and Pat Toomey, as well as the Vice President of the United States.
To be considered for a nomination by Congressman Lamb, you must complete the following by 5:00 p.m. on October 31, 2018:
- You must print, sign and mail the completed application (https://lamb.house.gov/services/military-academy-nominations) to:
Office of Congressman Conor Lamb
Attn: Military Academy Nomination
504 Washington Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15228
- Complete and attach a one-page personal statement (500 words or less) to the application.
- Attach a recent photo to the application.
- Attach a resume of extracurricular activities to the application.
- Attach up to 3 letters of recommendation to the application.
- Attach an official transcript for all high schools, junior colleges, and colleges you have attended to the application. (All high school transcripts must include final junior year grades. Your school may directly submit the transcript to Congressman Lamb’s District Office address noted above.)
- Attach official SAT I or ACT scores to the online application. If these scores are not on your official academic transcript, please submit the scores when they become available either by attaching to the application or mail to Congressman Lamb’s District Office address noted above and your file will be updated accordingly. If scores will be available after October 31st, please contact the office directly at (412) 344-5583.
All application materials must be received by 5:00 p.m. on October 31, 2018. Applications received after the deadline, and incomplete applications, will not be considered.
Qualified applicants selected for an interview will be notified by e-mail of the date and time. Interviews will take place at Congressman Lamb’s District Office, located in Mt. Lebanon, Pennsylvania at 504 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228.
For more information, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page at https://lamb.house.gov/services/military-academy-nominations/military-academy-nominations-faq or if you have a specific questions, please contact the District Office at (412) 344-5583.